Saturday, February 7, 2009

Loving a creepy kids story in 3D.......


The Dack ventured off on his own yesterday in hopes of finding some magic on the big screen and he was not disappointed with his destination..... Until yesterday, I had no plans to see this movie but upon checking out a review online and discovering it was from the creators of "Nightmare Before Christmas" and having a couple hours of time that would have otherwise been totally wasted..... I took a chance.

To be honest the 3D was the thing that got me in the theater, risking a saturday afternoon theater full of kiddies was an enormous leap..... The Dack does not believe in the idea of kids in the theater mainly do to a long history of children running around the movie theater ruining my movie experiences.... strolling into the theater I thought I had made an epic blunder... talking children everywhere... my first thought was even if this movie is the best thing ever I won't find out with all the talking but as soon as the Dolby Digital 3D icon flew off the screen all the talking was silenced.

Over the next hour and a half I was transported to a world of wonder.... I am sure this film would hold up even not in 3D but having that component made the experience all the more amazing. When it comes to any type of animation the Dack only really looks for one thing.... being taken to a world that is not mine but that feels real and boy did this movie deliver. The story was very tight not having any extra fluff that seems to have become so prevelant in moving making today.... this is probably due to that fact that when you are aiming a film at children you cut all the fat because let's face it, kids get bored..... so does the Dack.

Even as the credits rolled and people started filling out... the Dack could not help but sit there and enjoy every last thing flying past in 3D while the credits rolled.... I was even treated to an extra 3D section after the credits finished... I know this review told you nothing about the film...... here are the 2 questions you should ask yourself before deciding whether this a movie for you to go check out... do you like animation and do you enjoy the transporting experience of seeing a film in 3D.... As for the Dack, affirmative is the answer and that's why Coraline lands eightDacks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So relieved to discover my favorite film critic has returned to his post. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Julie -- welcome back, Dack!

~Autumn

Subscribe to The Dack List via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner