Monday, August 6, 2007

The Simpsons...


Yes, you’ve seen the ads and probably the television show at least once because it’s always on…..and now finally….a movie


I was so looking forward to The Simpsons movie, after 18 years on television now the genius writers would have the freedom of a movie to bring Homer and all the other wonderful characters to the big screen. The plot of the movie starts off with Lisa trying to save Springfield from its nasty polluting ways. The first 30 minuets truly feels like you are just watching a new episode on a Sunday night but soon enough a giant dome is placed over the town to protect the rest of the world from its gross pollution.......and of course Homer is mainly to blame. The highlight of the film is The Simpsons on the run to Alaska....this trip away from Springfield actually felt like a real movie but then they must go back to save the rest of the town from being blown up by the government being run by none other that PresidentArnold Schwarzenegger. The pacing felt rushed and I think the decision to keep this movie short was a mistake.


I will admit that although I believe The Simpsons to be a wonderfully written show that has amazingly been able to make fun of America for 18 years without losing it’s quick wit, I have never watched the show consistently because at least for me it starts to lose some of it’s freshness after a while.


Of course the animation does look far better on the big screen than it ever has in my living room, but that’s never been what the show was about anyway. If you love The Simpsons you will probably love the movie but in a summer that has been packed to the brim with rehashed ideas I was counting on the brilliant minds behind The Simpsons to save the day, but for me they didn't. I wanted to see The Simpsons make a splash onto the big screen or at least wrap its television show comedy into a awesome shinny new package. However, all I ended up getting was an extended version of something I could see on tv with Auto smoking a bong and Bart’s penis thrown in because….well, they could. Homer sums this up by saying "I can't believe we're paying to see something we can get on TV for free" while watching The Itchy and Scratchy Show Movie, at the beginning of the movie. It's a shame this joke actually came true.


Perhaps I had my expectations set a bit too high, for the Dack it only manages fiveDacks. Wait....SixDacks. The pig was genius!

No comments:

Subscribe to The Dack List via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner