Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Craving 3D......Journey to the Center of the Earth....If you have too.


The Dack loves new innovative ways of watch movies so when there is a chance to see something in 3D, I jump in feet first. I hadn’t seen a 3D movie in at least 15 years when Beowolf came out last year. Although Beowold was a decent film, it was animation and didn’t really seem to use the 3D to engage the audience as much as it could have. Having seen Beowolf both in 3D and not, I can honestly say the 3D version didn’t really add anything special. Although my experience was lack luster with Beowolf it got me excited for my next 3D adventure.


This weekend I finally got to set off on a new 3D adventure……… or Real D as the credits told me when Journey to the Center of The Earth began. Although, I’m a huge fan of the movies I’m not a huge fan of opening credit sequences….. unless the names start moving around and flying at you!!! Yep, that’s right the opening credits are 3D (no, I’m not going to call it Real D….. what the heck does that even mean?!?). But before I get ahead of myself… I knew before the movie started that this was going to be the 3D adventure I had been hoping for when we got not one but two trailers in 3D! I wish I could tell you that this movie lived up to all my excitement but the Dack can’t lie. Journey (no, not the band) was not a good film. It was actually pretty bad but it was fun to watch in 3D…. which was used throughout the movie to my amazement... things were flying at me constantly which made even Brendan Frazer brushing his teeth and spitting at me exciting!! As for the actual merits of the movie the Dack wonders how anyone could sit through this movie if it wasn’t in 3D. Journey to the Center of the Earth was obviously designed to be seen in 3D……and not only seen but at times it felt like a showcase for what today’s 3D can do… which is remarkable but 3D can not save a movie. Not even the presence of Brendan Frazer who brings a solid performance can save the plot…or help the other actors who seem like they are just running through the motions as they act in front of green screen…Frazer is obviously very comfortable there having done three Mummy films which had plenty of special effects. Now that I have experienced a movie that uses 3D in such awesome ways I excited for the future when a movie can blend 3D with a good story, acting, and directing. That will be DackD!!


Journey to the Center of the Earth only manages to discover fourDacks and that’s only for the 3D version....the adjusted Dacks without 3D would only be oneDack.

No comments:

Subscribe to The Dack List via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner