Sunday, June 24, 2007

Could Have Been Better...


I know I shouldn't believe the reviews I read in the paper or online but every once in awhile if they have something good to say about a movie I am looking forward to. I find myself getting excited about the positive things being said.

The latest movie to not to live up to the hype is Room 1408. This is not to say I didn't like it because I kind of did but I also didn't love it. John Cusack is one of my favorite actors and he alone almost saves this film. Samuel L Jackson also shines in a small role. The two share a few really great scenes.

The problem is with the story line that is very good at building the intensity throughout the film but in the end to me it had a great build to nothing. The film is based on a short story by Stephen King. I haven't read it but knowing it is a short story I am sure whoever wrote the screenplay had to add to the plot to make it work as a movie. Whoever it was should have been told that scary movies don’t work if you have flashbacks. Although they are worked into the movie very smoothly it still doesn’t work and keeps pulling you out of the scary situations that are happening. This ultimately ruins any suspense build up.

I don’t have much to good to say about this movie because the more time goes by from when I saw it, I think of more things that could have been done differently to make it a good possibly even great film. That said it is still one of the better Stephen King story adaptations.

A sub par screenplay and bad editing end up wasting a good idea and good performances from Cusack and Jackson. What ends up killing the movie is a completely uninspired ending. This one ends up with fourDacks solely because I like both actors.

No comments:

Subscribe to The Dack List via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner