Saturday, January 24, 2009

Clint's Ends Tough Guy Acting Career with Bang...




The Dack had heard all the talk about the launguage and racist comments going into seeing Gran Torino.... So when the F bombs started dropping and the most racist slurs I have heard in a 2 hour period hit I was totally prepared...... As a film Gran Torino worked only because of the skill and status of Clint Eastwood. His performance wasn't to far removed from his tough guy Dirty Harry character but a grity realistic take on what Harry Callahan would be like after the world forgot about him. To me it was a well executed morality tale about how racism is still plaguing this country because people are still hung up on the idea that what you look like or where your family comes from has something to do with who you are as an individual. But I am afraid that what most people are going to take from the movie is a bunch of new racist terms. I do agree that this movie was defiantly unapologetic in not being politically correct but that wasn't enough for me. The one thing I was bothered by the most is how can a person become friends with someone and yet still continue to use racist slurs at them..... and I know Eastwood was staying true to the character but couldn't he have grown just a little...

Besides Eastwood's brilliant performance most of the supporting cast is simply getting by with scenes that Eastwood is not in suffering. The good news is those are few and far between.... When he is on screen his presence lifts the entire casts performance.

As for what the Dack thought, well, it wasn't great and it wasn't terrible and if you are at all a fan of Clint Eastwood than this is a must see. It ends up with sixDacks just because even knowing that all the language and racism was in there I was still a little shocked by it.

2 comments:

JR said...

sevenDacks. I thought the movie was making the point that it was OK to acknowledge differences, and that there was an underlying current that binds all humanity together.

You're right, Eastwood is the movie, although, I thought the other cast wasn't that bad . . . especially the sister and brother.

Dack said...

I agree that the film started out point out that acknowledging differences but the continued use of racial slurs started to get to me after the first hour..... if I had a new friend that constantly referred to me as a cripple even after I corrected him..... somehow I don't like we would build a tight bond. But then again perhaps I am limiting myself.

The brother and sister were the only actors besides Eastwood that showed any type of acting ability and that allowed Eastwood to give a great performance.

Subscribe to The Dack List via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner